Fans attending a Houston music festival surged toward the stage during a performance by rapper Travis Scott, triggering panic in the crowd of tens of thousands. At least eight people were killed and many more hurt, authorities said.
Among them were two teenagers and at least five people in their twenties, ranging in age from 14 to 27. One person’s age has not been confirmed and only six of the families have been notified. Identities are yet to be determined, according to Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña.
13 people are still being hospitalized, Mayor Sylvester Turner said. One of those injured is a ten-year-old said to be in critical condition.
The chaos unfolded Friday evening at Astroworld, a sold-out, two-day event at the NRG Park stadium. An estimated 50,000 people were in attendance. It was not clear what set the crowd in motion.
Turner called the disaster “a tragedy on many different levels” and said it was too early to draw conclusions about what went wrong.
Peña and Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo both reported there were eight people killed and that more than 300 people had been treated at a field hospital for injuries.
Peña told reporters that at about 9:38 p.m., there was a surge toward the stage while Travis Scott was performing and that “scores of people were injured.”
“That caused some panic, and it started causing some injuries, people began to fall out, become unconscious, and it created additional panic,” the fire chief said.
About 50,000 people were at the event at NRG Park, which was being put on by rapper and producer Travis Scott. The festival, which is in its third year, was expected to be a two-day event, but officials said that Saturday’s lineup had been canceled.
Scott said on Twitter that he was “absolutely devastated” by what happened and expressed his support for all those impacted.